Substitute Information

Thank you for inquiring about Substitute Teaching in Franklin-Johnson-Massac-Williamson Counties (ROE #21). You must hold a Bachelor’s Degree with a valid and registered teaching license or Substitute license issued by the Illinois State Board of Education. If you are a First-Time Substitute Applicant, please follow the steps below to ensure that you have completed the appropriate paperwork and procedures to Substitute Teach in ROE #21.

If you would like more information about a Short-Term Substitute Teaching License, please click here.

How To Apply for a Substitute License from ISBE Video on Vimeo.

Steps to Apply for a Substitute License

Official transcripts stating a Bachelor’s Degree was attained must be sent to the Regional Office of Education #21 at the address below:

Regional Office of Education #21
901 Public Square
Benton, IL 62812

  1. Visit to create an account in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
  2. On the ISBE homepage select “ELIS Educator Credentials” located near the top middle section of the page.
  3. On the Educator Credential page, select Educator Access. On the left side of the Educator Access page, select “Sign Up Now”.
  4. You will be prompted to enter all of your information in the places provided.
    (Please make certain all of information that you enter is accurate and up to date)
  5. After entering your information and selecting continue at the bottom of the page, you will be directed to an information overview page. PRINT THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS.
  6. Next, you will be directed to a Congratulations page for successfully creating your ELIS Account. After selecting continue, you will be directed to your home profile page. You will also receive an email confirmation.
  7. Your home profile page will give you options. You will select option #3, “Apply for a Substitute License (SUB)”. Once this is selected, the system will take you through a wizard to apply for your Substitute License. Once you apply, you will be re-directed to a secure website to enter your application fee. The fee to apply for the license is $100.00.
  8. Once you have submitted your payment, you will be returned to your ELIS homepage. Your Substitute License will be listed as PENDING. You will need to log back into your ELIS account to check the status of your License. This process could take up to a few weeks. The status will change from PENDING to ISSUED. Once ISBE receives and processes your transcripts, this status will be change to ISSUED. You will not receive anything in the mail.
  9. Once the status displays ISSUED, you MUST register your license in the county or counties for which you choose to Substitute Teach. When logged into your ELIS account, you will see a link for registration in the Action Center. Once this has been selected, the system will take you through a wizard to register your license. ROE #21 is located in Franklin-Johnson-Massac-Williamson Counties. The fee to register your license is $50.00 for a 5-year cycle.
  10. Once your license is registered, you may begin the process to Substitute Teach.

Additional Information:

  • Any individual serving as a substitute teacher based on holding a substitute license is no longer restricted to the number of days they can teach in a district. However, a substitute teacher can only work 90 days for one individual teacher per district, per academic year (July 1 through June 30). Individuals who currently hold a valid Professional Educator License may substitute teach unlimited days per district per academic year, but may only substitute for an individual teacher for 120 days per academic year.
  • Effective January 1, 2011: Illinois and FBI reports must be received before an individual can be authorized to substitute and the individual must pay the fingerprinting fee. Also effective with this new law, individuals who apply to substitute teach in Illinois Public Schools are required to hold a ROE Substitute Authorization Certificate, which is portable to all the Regional Offices in the state. Individuals who wish to substitute are required by law to register in each region they work, but only pay registration fees once.